Applications to London Calling are now open!
At least 20 short films will be commissioned through the short film scheme in 2017. Sixteen of these will be through the main scheme, offering awards of up to £4,000. Eleven of these will be commissioned by Film London, three will be commissioned by Southern Exposure Film Fund, and two will be commissioned by Eastern Edge Film Fund. An additional four films will be commissioned through Film London’s London Calling Plus strand, offering awards of up to £15,000 for BAME filmmakers with a track record in film, TV, radio or theatre.
Supporting BAME talent
Film London are furthering efforts to support underrepresented new talent, with at least three of this year’s London Calling awards specifically designated for projects from new writers and directors from black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) backgrounds. These are in addition to four higher-budgeted London Calling Plus awards, which are for BAME filmmakers with a track record in film, TV, radio or theatre. Writers and directors on these projects should be BAME, but producers do not need to be.
Need to know
- Awards of up to £4,000 are available for each London Calling film.
- Awards of up to £15,000 are available for each London Calling Plus film, open to BAME filmmakers with a track record.
- Maximum running time for London Calling films is 10 minutes, London Calling Plus films is 15 minutes.
- Projects can only apply to one fund.
- Match funding can be sought for any film being produced through the scheme.
- To find out more, read the Frequently Asked Questions here.
Which fund do I apply to?
The main Film London fund is highly competitive. Residents of Lambeth, Southwark, Redbridge and Waltham Forest are encouraged to apply to their local fund. This includes new BAME talent, who may still be considered for funding through the main Film London fund even if applying through their local fund.
- Residents of Lambeth and Southwark should apply to the Southern Exposure Film Fund.
- Residents of Redbridge and Waltham Forest should apply to the Eastern Edge Film Fund.
- Residents of all other London boroughs should apply to the main London Calling fund.
- New BAME talent of all other London boroughs should apply to the main London Calling fund.
- BAME writers and directors with a track record should apply for the London Calling Plus fund.
Apply to London Calling
Residents of any London borough except Lambeth, Redbridge, Southwark or Waltham Forest should apply via this fund. Eleven awards of up to £4,000 are available. Film London will commit at least three of these awards to BAME teams, to encourage more films from minority voices. Apply here.
Southern Exposure Film Fund
Residents of Lambeth and Southwark should apply through this fund. Three awards of up to £4,000 from a central pot of £10,000 will be offered after an initial development period. Projects can be of any narrative genre, including documentary and animation. Cross-borough working and the use of local crew, locations and facilities is encouraged. Apply here.
Eastern Edge Film Fund
Residents of Redbridge and Waltham Forest should apply through this fund. Deadline is 12 midday, 11 August 2017. Two awards of up to £4,000 are available. This fund supports emerging and experienced filmmakers living, working or studying in one of the two boroughs to produce an original short film. The award also includes professional support from an executive producer, training from industry professionals, access to production facilities, and opportunities for public screenings. Apply here.
London Calling Plus
Four awards of up to £15,000 are available, all of which are commissioned by Film London. London Calling Plus is open to black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) writers and directors with a proven track record across film, television or theatre. Apply here.
Deadline for all applications except EEFF: 12 midday, Tuesday 25 July 2017 |
- For enquiries about London Calling please contact email@example.com
- For enquiries about Southern Exposure Film Fund, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- For enquiries about Eastern Edge Film Fund, contact Anton Califano via email@example.com
- For enquiries about London Calling Plus please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Find out more via filmlondon.org.uk/london-calling-apply