The Sound and Music Summer School is the only UK residential course of its kind for young composers and an inspiring and intensive week full of collaboration, fun, learning and creativity from Sunday 2 – Saturday 8 August 2015.
For a fee of £395 the SAM Summer School gives young composers the opportunity to work with composers and musicians from a wide variety of musical traditions, from classical and jazz to world and new media.
From life-changing musical experiences to life-long friendships, the initiative looks for young composers a commitment to creating their own music and a desire to learn more. Along with fundraising for bursaries to ensure admission to the course can be extended to every young person with the talent.
By composer it is meant anyone who creates their own original pieces of music. During the Summer School, participants need to be able to notate their pieces so that performers can play them, but notation can range from traditional western classical to chord charts and graphic scores to text instructions.
The Summer School offers the chance to:
- Meet and work with leading composers and musicians
- Meet lots of other young composers
- Create your own piece of music
- Explore different styles and methods of composing and music-making
- Have your music recorded and receive a CD afterwards
- Bring your instrument to take part in creative sessions (it doesn’t matter how good a performer you are!)
The full cost is £395 for the week including all food, accommodation and activities. In order for everyone accepted on the course to be able to attend regardless of their family circumstances a means-tested grant scheme is available.
For further information go to: http://www.soundandmusic.org/summerschool