TBB are pleased to report that, in partnership with BFI Film Forever and Film Export UK, the Film Distribution Association’s Launching Films has opened for applications to their third film distribution and international sales training scheme! But hurry, applications close at 5pm on February 14th 2017!
If ever there was a time to line up for a gift of a scheme, it is now, and this is it, as black stories and histories continue to ‘struggle’ to find audiences and box office success. What better way to address the problem than to have marketing professionals who have the talent to reverse the Hollywood definition of a ‘good’ movie? Honestly, I have nothing against La La Land; I love a good musical, but I would also really like to see an uplifting modern day story with a couple of young Gregory Hines (RIP 2003) inspired performers doing some Nicholas Brothers-type; breathtaking tap routines like Dulé Hill wangled into several seasons of USA Network’s Psych (2006-14) or, as I last saw in Riverdance, 2005!
Even if that film got made, it would forever be denied box-office hit status and maybe, eventually end up as a cult film YEARS after the cast and crew lost their faith in audiences, because the distribution and marketing of black film, how ever you define it, generally remains poorly executed.
Here is your chance to improve audience access to that film or any other film a creative has the good grace to make! Candidates who pass the first stage of selection will be invited to attend a recruitment day and interviews will take place week commencing Monday 27 February 2017.
Successful applicants will be selected from UK residents or those eligible to work in the UK, primarily from BAME backgrounds and/or who consider themselves to be disabled. They must be recent college/school leavers; have less than twelve months continuous or discontinuous / paid or unpaid industry work experience; and can show:
- Passion for film
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Experience of using Microsoft Office packages and email
- Ability to work as part of a team
- A desire to learn
Training will include an office-based placement in a film distribution, or international sales organisation to gain hands-on experience in Distribution – acquiring the rights to release a film in a particular territory, then taking responsibility for it’s domestic marketing of that film to maximise the commercial potential and engage film with audiences. International Sales Sales companies are a bridge between the creative and commercial sides of the film industry, acquiring the rights from the producer to licence their film to countries across the world, with the aim to maximise its commercial potential. Regular industry insider training will also be provided for a comprehensive overview of the film industry.
- Placements will start week commencing April 3rd and run until December 22nd 2017 – 38 weeks.
- Placements at distribution and international sales companies will take place in London due to the nature of the film industry, although applicants will be considered from all across the UK.
- Trainees will work full time – 35 hours per week, in host companies, and will regularly attend training sessions with the other trainees which will further enhance their employability skills and knowledge of the film industry.
- Trainees will be paid a monthly training allowance equivalent to a percentage of London Living Wage
- Trainees will also be entitled to holidays (totalling 20 days a year pro rata subject to agreement with their host organisation.)
The entire scheme is funded by the Creative Skillset Film Skills Fund as part of ‘A Bigger Future 2’, the UK film skills strategy. The Creative Skillset Film Skills Fund is supported by the National Lottery through the BFI and the film industry through the Skills Investment Fund.
At the end of the year, you will be equipped with entry-level employment training to better prepare you for future careers. Whilst future employment opportunities cannot be guaranteed, the scheme organisers have made every effort to maximise your chances and support you.
To apply for a trainee role with a Distribution or Sales company, and for more information, visit the FDA Launching Films website.
Email any queries, to firstname.lastname@example.org
That deadline again, for all applications – 5pm on Tuesday 14th February 2017.