BACK IN is a six-month talent development programme run by creative agency Punch Records, aims to develop early-career, black filmmakers from Birmingham.
The scheme helps participants expand their industry knowledge, build professional connections and tap into the city’s vibrant local BME ecosystem.
The programme is curated and managed by filmmaker, director, and entrepreneur Daniel Alexander.
This session at the Everyman Cinema, in partnership with Creative Skillset, will screen short films made by local filmmakers and a discussion on the state of BME representation throughout the film industry.
Hosted by award-winning journalist and broadcaster Marverine Cole, panellists will include Annika Allen, Femi Oyeniran and Sheridan de Myers.
During the session you will:
- explore diversity issues in the UK film industry
- discover new content created by the next generation of young, black filmmakers in Birmingham
- find out how to get better connected and develop new work partnerships
- network with local black filmmakers and industry experts
Schedule of events
- 5:00 – Doors open
- 5:30 – Film Screening – SWITCH (13 mins) Director: Ephraim Morgen | CASH FLOW (20 mins) Directors: Tashan Elliott & Jamaal Jones | BLACK AND FROM BRUM (15 mins) Director: Remani Love | SPITE (30 mins) Director – Tenisha White
- 6:30 – Panel Discussion: 2% BLACK – A HARD STRAIGHT TO THE POINT LOOK AT THE | CURRENT PERCENTAGE OF BLACK PEOPLE THAT MAKE UP THE FILM INDUSTRY – Panelists: Annika Allen, Femi Oyeniran and Sheridan de Myers
- 7:45 – Drinks in the bar
BACK IN: Supporting Black Filmmakers takes place Wednesday 26th September, at Birmingham, Everyman Cinema, 116 Wharfside Street, Mailbox, B1 1RF.
Find out more and book here.