Almost 80 broadcasting executives will be attending the industry’s major diversity event, Move on Up North, on 25th March. They will be taking part in an anticipated 500 prearranged one-to-one meetings with Black, Asian and minority ethnic professionals.
The purpose of the event is to enable new contacts to be made and information to be obtained that will assist the diverse professionals to “move on up” in their careers.
Move on Up line up
The line-up for the event has been revealed by BECTU, organising the event in partnership with the BBC and Creative Skillset.
“In line with previous Move on Up events run in Salford we had aimed for 50 executives taking part and were assuming a little over 100 BAME professionals,” said BECTU Diversity Officer Janice Turner who is organising the event. “But such has been the enthusiasm about Move on Up North, we now have almost 80 executives with more wanting to come along, and more than 240 people are already pre-registered.”
The BBC is fielding almost 50 executives from Children’s, Comedy, Drama, Entertainment, Learning, News & Current Affairs, Radio Religion & Ethics, Sport and Writersroom. Also attending will be ITV including executives from Coronation Street and Emmerdale; Al Jazeera, Sony Entertainment TV, independent production companies and facilities and crewing companies.
Alongside the one-to-one meetings, which run all day on 25 March, is a schedule of one-hour workshops. These cover storytelling on the variety of digital platforms, successful pitching, and the opportunity to take a look at the latest cutting edge technology.
Creative Skillset will be providing information on funding available for training and highlighting their professional network, the Hiive; while the employers explain their recruitment and commissioning processes and where to find the opportunities. BECTU will be highlighting the pitfalls and safeguards professionals need to know about particularly when working freelance.
Moving on up for 10 years
This is the 10th Move on Up event since its inception in 2003 organised by BECTU in partnership with the BBC and Creative Skillset. An independent evaluation of the events held between 2003 and 2007 demonstrated the success of the model: the majority of BAME professionals who responded to the survey reported that as a result of the contacts and information gained, they went on to secure opportunities that they otherwise may have missed, such as jobs, programme commissions, work shadowing and feedback on scripts and programme proposals.
- To apply you must be either already working in the media industry or qualified to enter it. This event is not for students. If you’re not sure whether you qualify phone 020 7346 0900 and ask for Move on Up.
- This event is free.
- Look at the list of executives who will be available for one-to-one meetings on 25 March and on the application form & check the box against those you would like to see.
- Please also look at the list of workshops and list in the application form below which you would like to attend in order of priority, putting your top priority one first.
- You must upload your CV along with your application form when you send it.
- To make your application stand out, you may also write a covering letter to each executive if you wish. Please upload with this application form.
- You may upload a show reel in MP3 format if you wish, labelled with your name and indicating who it should be sent to.
- Programme ideas: if you would like to discuss a programme idea with a commissioner or development executive, you must find out as much as possible about the kind of material they are looking for. You may attach a brief synopsis of the idea if you wish, making it clear who you would like it to be sent to. You may not submit a proposal to a department that has already turned it down.
- BECTU members have free use of the union’s script registration service. For further details look on the BECTU website
- You must complete and upload your application by MONDAY 16th FEBRUARY.
For further information / to apply go to: https://moveonupnorth2015.wufoo.com/forms/s1szri480uszwbd/
Download the event brochure: www.bectu.org.uk/advice-resources/library/169