Applications now open for BFI NETWORK @Flare 2019
Are you a LGBTQ+ identified filmmaker who wants to keep developing your career in film?
After four very successful years and a growing network of alumni, this mentorship programme will again offer five-six emerging LGBTQ+ identified filmmakers based in the UK the opportunity to develop industry knowledge, professional connections, their passion for cinema and an overview of LGBTQ+ features entering the marketplace.
Selected filmmakers will receive:
- Four one-to-one meetings with a senior figure in the UK film industry
- Roundtable discussion exploring the current global market environment for LGBTQ+ films
- Access to a bespoke programme of industry talks and events during BFI Flare: London LGBTQ+ Film Festival (21-31 March 2019)
- Delegate pass and access to the viewing library for BFI Flare and BFI London Film Festival, and a ticket to BFI Flare Opening Night film and party on Wednesday 21 March 2019
- Access to monthly BFI Flare-branded screenings at BFI Southbank
- The Festival will also promote your work by publishing a news story with filmmaker profiles for the BFI Flare website and social networks, as well as offering you the option to have your short film available on the password-protected BFI Flare industry viewing portal.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Written, produced or directed a short film which has screened at a BAFTA-qualifying festival
- Be developing a feature film project
- Be a UK resident
About the programme
You will be assigned a mentor who is a senior figure in the film industry working in production, sales and distribution. You will have four formal meetings with your mentor and will be given support on how to get the most out of the experience. Rather than being a project development scheme, this programme aims to strengthen professional networks and offers a space for discussion and better understanding of opportunities and challenges for LGBTQ+ filmmakers in the UK and in the global marketplace.
The programme will begin at BFI Flare 2019, where senior industry figures will meet the selected filmmakers for a roundtable exploring LGBTQ+ content in UK film and in the global marketplace, and a discussion of the participants’ projects.
Selected filmmakers will then be paired with a mentor and meetings will be facilitated throughout 2019. At the end of 2019 all mentees and mentors will have an exit interview, which will inform an article on the current global landscape for LGBTQ+ filmmaking. The article will be published on the BFI website.
Applications are now open for 2019.
Register and apply here. Applications close Monday 18 February 2019.