LOCO is a not-for-profit foundation that discovers, develops and screens the world’s most original comedy film-makers. The LOCO London Comedy Film Festival is a BFI Partner Festival and a member of the BFI Film Audience Network. The LOCO London Comedy Film Festival is back for its fifth year at BFI Southbank and selected cinemas in 2016 with new dates and a new programming strategy, celebrating the world’s most original comedy film-making.
A greater variety of voices in comedy
In particular the LOCO team are looking for new films from BAME and LGBT film-makers, as well as from film-makers with a physical disability or mental health condition.
14 – 24 April 2016, which allows LOCO to host the UK premieres of new films from Sundance, Rotterdam, Berlin and SXSW for the first time. More days also means fewer clashes, so you won’t have to choose between two conflicting premieres or live events.
LOCO has always believed that comedy can do more than make you laugh: at its best it’s a way for film-makers to look at social issues, ethical dilemmas and universal human experiences in an entertaining way. Comedy can be a safe space for dangerous ideas. And this can be just as true of a Hollywood blockbuster as it is of a low budget independent film: we love Inside Out as well as Gone Too Far.
Inspired by The Wizard of Oz, the LOCO team are looking for comedy films with brains, heart and courage:
- Brains – films that have something to say. Films that make us think as well as make us laugh. Films with themes or ideas that feel surprising and new.
- Heart – films that make us care. Bold, exciting characters who we may not like, but can’t help loving. Stories that the film-makers simply had to tell.
- Courage – films that push the medium further. They may have provocative themes, or radical film-making techniques, or they may challenge the audience in some way. The best comedy is fearless, and so are the best comedy films.
UK and international films
LOCO is the UK’s only international comedy film festival. The team are looking for new British shorts and feature films, and there will be more shorts programmes than ever this year. LOCO will be holding the fifth LOCO Discovery Awards, highlighting the most original new British film-makers in shorts and feature films. They are also looking for new international comedy feature films that have never been screened in the UK. But NOT looking for shorts from outside the UK.
How to submission guidelines & fees:
Submissions will be open from 1st September – 30th November through Flock, the festival submissions platform from the film-makers’ network Shooting People.
- UK Shorts (Under 20mins) – Early bird Deadline: 30/09/2015 £15.00 | Regular Deadline: 30/11/2015 £20.00
- UK Features (Over 70 mins) – Early bird Deadline: 30/09/2015 £25.00 | Regular Deadline: 30/11/2015 £30.00
- International Features (Over 70 mins) – Early bird Deadline: 30/09/2015 £35.00 | Regular Deadline: 30/11/2015 £40.00
The full programme of screenings, live events and training will be launched on 14th February 2016
For further information go to: http://locofilmfestival.com/submissions