Underwire 2015 which celebrates women working in the UK film industry will return in November 2015 and is now open for submissions.
UnderWire’s founders Gabriella Apicella and Gemma Mitchell launched the festival in 2010 with the belief that women working in the UK film industry needed more encouragement and a bigger platform for their work. The fact remains that women still make up a small proportion of film creatives, and UnderWire looks to recognise the best short work made by women across a range of crafts – from director to cinematographer; screenwriter to editor. UnderWire believes that a more gender balanced industry will benefit everyone by creating a diversity of perspectives, stories and experiences for audiences.
Eligibility for UnderWire 2015
UnderWire looks to showcase all kinds of film – they accept drama, animation, documentary, music video and artist film. Apart from the XX Award, films are only eligible for the category that they have a female creative for. The XX Award can be entered by both male and female directors. The Award is for films which put interesting female characters at their centre.
Entries for all film categories must be:
- Under 20 minutes long
- Completed since November 2013
- Applicant must be British or Irish and/or the film must be a UK or Republic of Ireland production.
- Available for screening on one of the following formats: Mini DV / Digi Beta / DV Cam / .mov
- The deadline for all submissions is 31st July 2015
- DVD’s submitted cannot be returned
- The submission fee is £10 per film.
To give an example of what can and can not be submitted:
- If the film is directed by a man and produced by a woman, then the film is eligible in the producing category but will not be considered in the directing category.
- If the film is being entered into a category where the entrant shares a credit with a male, it is not eligible, e.g. it is written by a male and a female.
- Only the XX Award can be entered by both male and female directors.
- You must disclose who on your crew is female so everyone who could be eligible for an award is considered.
- You do not have to pay the submission fee for each category entered, just once for the film.
For further information / to submit a film: www.underwirefestival.com