THE BLACK MAGIC AWARDS RETURNS THIS OCTOBER TO HONOUR MORE INSPIRATIONAL WOMEN OF COLOUR
Following last year’s star studded, inaugural awards ceremony, The Black Magic Awards returns on 1st October to the Criterion Theatre in the heart of London’s West End. Hosted by Capital Xtra’s award-winning presenter Remel London, the evening will honour and celebrate the remarkable achievements of 16 black women from across TV, Film, Music, Sport, Fashion, Business and the Community.
Sponsored by international beauty brand, Palmers – The Black Magic Awards which was founded in 2017 by Comedian, Actor, and Film Producer Kojo Anim and Editor and Entrepreneur Annika Allen is dedicated to recognising the epitome of black excellence and is the ultimate night of #blackgirlmagic!
Honourees already announced include TV Presenter Angellica Bell, Magic FM’s Angie Greaves, Stand-up Comedian Gina Yashere, Saxophonist and Composer Yolanda Brown and Model and Activist Munroe Bergdorf. The full list of honourees will shortly be announced across The Black Magic Network’s platforms, culminating in a glittering ceremony that will shine a light on the brilliance and talents of black British women past and present.
This year’s event will include more amazing musical performances by the likes of Just Kemi and Tanika Bailey Lioness, comedy from online sensation Judi Love, surprise guest presenters as well as inspiring and powerful speeches from honourees.
Last year’s show hosted by comedy entertainer Eddie Kadi and America’s Next Top Model contestant & Heart Fm’s Annaliese Dayes, featured appearances from Actor and Strictly Come Dancing star Charles Venn and saw Coronation Street and Waterloo Road Actress Angela Griffin, GQ Publisher Vanessa Kingori MBE, global Music Artist Eve and Entertainer Angie Le Mar honoured on the night.
“This year’s awards are taking place because the black British female experience, influence and journey tends to go under the radar, well not anymore,” says Kojo Anim, Founder of The Black Magic Network. “It’s nice to get honoured with an MBE but it’s even nicer to get a thank you from your own community.”
The Black Magic Awards show is organised by The Black Magic Network and will provide honours to black women from the scene that have served well and celebrate their illustrious talents yearly.
After the event, The Black Magic Network will release a monthly podcast hosted by Annika, featuring special guests and will continue to spotlight the strengths and triumphs of phenomenal black women.
- Inspiration Honour – Yolanda Brown (Saxophonist)
- TV Personality Honour – Angellica Bell (TV presenter)
- Media Mogul Honour – Vannessa Amadi (PR)
- Music Honour – Lisa Maffia (Singer/songwriter)
- Brand Honour – Carla-Marie Williams (Beyonce Songwriter and owner of Girls I Rate)
- Sporting Honour – Eni Eluko (England / Juventus footballer)
- Comedy Honour – Gina Yashere (Comedian)
- Influence Honour – Taponeswa Maguva (PR)
- Community Champions – Joanna Abeyie (Diversity & Inclusion) | Vanessa La Rose (Bookshop owner) | Patricia Ann Hewitt (young women’s charity owner)
- Radio Honour – Angie Greaves (Radio presenter)
- Acting honour – Ellen Thomas (actress)
- The Impact Honour – Munroe Bergdorf (Activist)
- Beauty & Fashion Honour – Jourdan Dunn (model)
- International Honour – Tiffany Haddish (actress/comedian)