The Scott Trust, owner of Guardian Media Group plc, offers a number of bursaries each year for aspiring journalists to study for an MA in journalism. Details of courses which qualify are at: www.gmgplc.co.uk/the-scott-trust/bursaries/
The primary aim of these awards is to assist students who face financial difficulty in attaining the qualifications needed to pursue a career in media. As a media organisation there is a need to reflect the society we serve and thus recognise that certain groups are under-represented within media and so we particularly encourage graduates from diverse social and/or ethnic backgrounds to apply. Past beneficiaries of the awards have gone on to successful careers at a variety of media organisations. Current eminent Guardian journalists who are past recipients include Gary Younge, Homa Khaleeli and Lanre Bakare.
A bursary pays for tuition fees and provides a subsistence allowance of £6,000. The scheme also involves several weeks’ work experience within Guardian Media Group. The selection criteria (inclusive of university entrance criteria) are as follows: A graduate with a 2.1 minimum or equivalent and permanent right of residence in the United Kingdom. You will have had substantial paid or unpaid work experience in journalism and built up your portfolio of writing. You will be able to show commitment to a career in media. You will be able to demonstrate your need for financial support to progress in your career.
In addition to completing the online application form, please attach the following in one Word or PDF document:
400 words on any topic of your choosing from the options below:
- An article on a community issue in the area where you live
- An interview with someone interesting in your locality
- An article based on your own research of a topical issue (please quote sources).
- Any examples of your writing ability e.g. published work (print or online).
- Please note only complete online applications will be considered.
- In applying for a bursary you are advised to source your own information regarding the course/university of your choice.
- Where you are applying for any other source of funding, you should also make an application directly to your university of choice as the Scott Trust will not transfer your details in the event that you are unsuccessful in your Scott Trust bursary application.
- Please note the bursaries are only available to applicants who are permanent residents in the UK
For further information / to apply go to: https://gnm.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobdetail.ftl?job=KIN0000DC