The nominations have been announced for the Virgin TV British Academy Television Awards, which reward the very best in television broadcast on British screens in 2016.
Written by Levi David Addai (Youngers, My Murder), Damilola Our Loved Boy, BBC’s adaptation of the real life unfortunate murder of Damilola Taylor has been nominated in the Best Single Drama category. The drama was lead by Babou Ceesay & Wunmi Mosaku who portrayed Damilola’s parents who have both been nominated in Best Leading Actor and Best Supporting Actress categories respectively. Both will soon be seen in Sky Atlantic’s new series Guerrilla.
Nikki Amuka-Bird of Luther fame has been nominated as Best Leading Actress for her role as barrister Natalie Blake in the BBC adaptation of Zadie Smith’s novel NW, which is also up for Best Single Drama.
The Riz Ahmed starring, critically acclaimed series The Night Of, is up for Best International. Ahmed’s (City of Tiny Lights, Rogue One) role as Naz an American-Muslim man accused of murdering an American girl, was recognised at the 2017 Golden Globe Awards.
Adeel Akhtar (The Night Manager, Unforgotten) goes up against Babou Ceesay in the Best Leading Actor category, for his role as Shahzad a single father raising a two teens in Murdered By My Father, a story about the power and the limits of love in communities where ‘honour’ means everything.
Here are the other nominations of note:
- Inside Obama’s White House – Norma Percy, Brian Lapping, Paul Mitchell, Sarah Wallis – Brook Lapping/BBC Two
- Unarmed Black Male (This World) – James Jones, Sarah Foudy, Sarah Waldron, Sam Bagnall – BBC Current Affairs/BBC Two
- Travel Man: 48 Hours In… – Chris Richards, Nicola Silk, Leo McCrea, Richard Ayoade – North One Television/Channel 4
- The Night Of – Production Team – HBO/Sky Atlantic
- The People Vs OJ Simpson: American Crime Story – Ryan Murphy, Nina Jacobson, Brad Simpson – Fox 21 Television Studios/FX Productions/BBC Two
- Adeel Akhtar – Murdered by My Father – BBC Studios/BBC Three
- Babou Ceesay – Damilola, Our Loved Boy – Minnow Films/BBC One
- Nikki Amuka-Bird; NW – Mammoth Screen/BBC Two
Male Performance in a Comedy Programme
- Asim Chaudhry; People Just Do Nothing – Roughcut TV/BBC Three
Reality & Constructed Factual
- Muslims Like Us – Production Team – Love Productions/BBC Two
- Damilola, Our Loved Boy – Levi David Addai, Euros Lyn, Susan Horth, Colin Barr – Minnow Films/BBC One
- Murdered By My Father – Bruce Goodison, Toby Welch, Vinay Patel, Aysha Rafaele – BBC Studios/BBC Three
- NW – Production Team – Mammoth Screen /BBC Two
- Wunmi Mosaku; Damilola, Our Loved Boy – Minnow Films/BBC One
To see who our nominations of note are up against, get the full nominations list here.
This year’s ceremony will be held at London’s Royal Festival Hall on Sunday 14 May, three weeks after the British Academy Television Craft Awards on 23 April and one week after BAFTA’s Guru Live festival.
Read TBB’s interview with Nikki Amuka-Bird as she was about to star in NW here