From the writer of Moonlight, the 2017 Academy Award winner for Best Picture, ritual and reality intertwine in this darkly sparkling, brilliant play.
The Brothers Size is about two African-American brothers who, after a spell in prison, reunite through Yoruba mythology and live music.
Written by Tarell Alvin McCraney writer of the Oscar-winning film Moonlight, The Brothers Size first showed at the Young Vic back in 2007 and received rave reviews.
Theatre and opera director Bijan Sheibani directs, fresh from his successful run directing Inua Ellams’ sellout show Barbershop Chronicles at the National Theatre.
The British Blacklist has one pair of tickets to see this play, described as a deeply moving fable about the bonds between men. For your chance to win scroll down.
The cast includes:
Sope Dirisu makes his Young Vic debut in The Brothers Size.
Theatre includes: Coriolanus, Pericles (RSC); One Night In Miami (Donmar); The Whipping Man (Theatre Royal Plymouth); Tory Boyz, Romeo and Juliet (West End for National Youth Theatre) and Prince Of Denmark, Our Days Of Rage, Tory Boyz (National Youth Theatre).
Television includes: Next of Kin, Five By Five, The Halcyon, Black Mirror, Undercover, Siblings, Humans, The Casual Vacancy, The Mill, and Utopia.
Film includes: Sand Castle, The Huntsman: Winter’s War and Criminal
Jonathan Ajayi makes his Young Vic debut in The Brothers Size.
Theatre includes: A Midsummer Nights Dream in New Orleans (The Arts Theatre), Sucker Punch, Port, Duchess of Malfi, A New Brain, Lady from the Sea (LAMDA).
Film includes: Hallelujah.
Anthony Welsh returns to the Young Vic after appearing in dirty butterfly, Blackta and the original production of The Brothers Size in 2007.
Theatre includes Barber Shop Chronicles, Nut (National Theatre); The Merchant of Venice (Almeida); Precious Little Talent, Lower Ninth (Trafalgar Studios); Sucker Punch (Royal Court); Pornography (Tricycle Theatre & Tour).
Television includes Black Mirror: Crocodile, Fleabag, The Secrets, Life’s Too Short, Top Boy, Holby City and The Bill.
Film includes: The Arrival, Ibiza, Journeyman, Sand Castle, The Girl With All The Gifts, Second Coming, Starred Up, Dirty Money, My Brother The Devil and Comes A Bright Day.
The Brothers Size is designed by Patrick Burnier with live music and sound design by Manuel Pinheiro. A co-production with Actors Touring Company.
To book tickets go to the Young Vic website.
The British Blacklist has ONE PAIR of tickets to The Brothers Size, at the Young Vic Theatre, Monday 5 February at 19:30. If you are free that evening and fancy your chance at winning, please answer the following question:
Tarell Alvin McCraney is the writer of which Oscar-winning film?
- A – Sunlight
- B – Midnight
- C – Moonlight
Email the correct answer to email@example.com by WEDNESDAY 24th JANUARY with ‘Brothers Size Competition’ in the subject line.
Terms and conditions
- This competition is only open to residents of the United Kingdom
- Closing date for entry will be Noon, Wednesday 24th January. After this date the no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
- No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
- The British Blacklist reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the promoter’s control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the promoter.
- The promoter is not responsible for inaccurate prize details supplied to any entrant by any third party connected with this competition.
- No cash alternative to the prizes will be offered. The prizes are not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
- Winners will be chosen and notified no later than Friday 26th January.
- The winner will be notified by email. If the winner cannot be contacted or does not claim the prize within 1 day of notification, The British Blacklist reserves the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
- 14. The British Blacklist’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.