Mudbound – is Dee Rees’ triumphant return to the Festival after Pariah (LFF 2011). Receiving its European Premiere as the Royal Bank of Canada Gala, her majestic epic examines the friendship of two Second World War veterans which ignites racial tension. Adapting Hillary Jordan’s novel, Rees weaves together multiple threads of two family histories: white farmers the McAllans and the Jacksons, black sharecroppers who lease a plot on the McAllans’ land. With spinsterhood looming, despite being attracted to his debonair brother Jamie (Garrett Hedlund), Laura (Carey Mulligan) agrees to marry Henry McAllan (Jason Clarke), and he soon moves the family to the mud-caked Mississippi Delta.
Meanwhile, Hap Jackson (Rob Morgan) and his wife Florence (a transformed Mary J Blige) struggle to make small gains sharecropping when the McAllans take their lease. As a post-war comradeship develops between Jamie and the Jacksons’ eldest son, distinguished war hero Ronsel (Jason Mitchell), tensions with bitterly racist McAllan patriarch, Pappy erupt into violence. Rees skilfully draws these stories together, reflecting on how bigotry and intolerance serves no one – a message with fresh relevance given the rise of an emboldened far right in America.
The UK premiere of Mudbound takes place at London’s Odeon Leicester Square, Thursday 5th October @ 7:15pm
We have ONE PAIR of tickets to give away!
To win tickets answer this very simple question:
What is the correct name of the much loved Mary J. Blige classic song?
A. Real World
B. Real Love
C. Real Life
Send your correct answer to email@example.com | subject: Mudbound | with your full name and contact details.
To book tickets for the premiere or follow up dates find out more / book tickets here.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- This competition is only open to residents of the United Kingdom
- Closing date for entry is — 9am Weds 4th October 2017. After this date the no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
- You will be notified on no later than 1pm Weds 4th October 2017.
- We require confirmation that you can attend no later than 4pm Weds 4th October 2017.
- No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
- The British Blacklist reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the promoter’s control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the promoter.
- The promoter is not responsible for inaccurate prize details supplied to any entrant by any third party connected with this competition.
- No cash alternative to the prizes will be offered. The prizes are not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
- The winner will be notified by email. If the winner cannot be contacted or does not claim the prize within 2 days of notification, The British Blacklist reserves the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
- The British Blacklist’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.